Thursday, October 23, 2008

California's Prop 8 - Vote "NO"

Several weeks ago I sent out an email to one of the email lists my mother uses to send her, um, less than progressive emails. I want to post the text of the message here in the hope that someone that may be on the fence with regard to proposition 8 may come to see why voting "NO" on Prop. 8 is the right and just thing to do.

Here you go:

Many, I'm sure, have heard about Proposition 8, the marriage equality bill, on this year's California Ballot. Please take the time and allow me to explain why I this issue is so important.

Now, I have never really thought about getting married, because I am gay, the prospect was never something in the realm of possibility, but now that the possibility is here, it has allowed me to see things differently. What really has opened my eyes is not the fact that the California Courts have granted the right for me to marry; it was seeing friends marry their partners. Seeing how this new right has transformed their happiness to something more is a revelation. Seeing my friends get married and watching the deepening of their happiness and love is hard to describe. I get a sense of renewed love and a…renewed sense of a shared future. This new stability in their lives is undeniable. It's hard to describe the change I've seen in my friends, but I’m sure that many of you that are married and have witnessed your friends marry understand what I am trying to say.

The idea of not allowing so many of us to share what I have seen friends and family share, is something that would be more than a terrible injustice, it would be a blow to equality everywhere.

I'm asking you to vote "no" on Proposition 8 this November.

-Michael


You can donote to the "NO" on 8 campaign here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home