Sunday, March 27, 2005

Supreme Dream

In an effort to fulfill my self-imposed rule of at least one posting a week, I give you a strange dream I experienced:

I was at a dinner in the U.S. Supreme Court building in Washington D.C., the dinner was to honor William H. Rehnquist, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. All the other Justices were sitting a the table bathed in yellow light, the walls were adorned with white silk with the glow of soft yellow light emanating from behin. A voice announced the arrival of the Chief Justice. William Rehnquist entered the room through a door to my left and as he passed me, he turned to me and said, “it shows a lack of respect to stand behind me like that.” I didn’t think much of his comment except to mentally file that piece of protocol away for future dinners/events.

As the Chief Justice took his seat, he turned to me and waved me over. As I walked over, I realized the Chief Justice did not look like William Rehnquist at all; he looked like former Chief Justice Earl Warren. Strange. Even though the Chief Justice looked like Earl Warren, I, and everyone else at the dinner, knew he was in fact, William H. Rehnquist, the current Chief Justice. As I walked over I noticed a lively conversation between Justices John Paul Stevens and Sandra Day O’Connor. As I passed Stevens and O’Connor, O’Connor looked at me and nodded. When I finally got to where Rehnquist was sitting, I leaned down to hear what he wanted. He told me he wanted to send flowers to three girls, “the ones with the pageboy haircuts.” Now, at this point in my story, I need to tell you that in this dream, I was still attending SFSU for a degree in European History (emphasis in Renaissance Italy and Medieval France). Now I did not know any girls with a pageboy haircut, but I somehow knew whom he was talking about. I said I would see that the three girls got their flowers. Now, as Rehnquist was telling me this, I suddenly got the feeling that this was the last dinner William Rehnquist would ever have and that this was his last wish. When Rehnquist was finished, the thought that I had just been given the last instructions of The Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, I turned to see Justice O’Connor smiling and nodding at me. And the dream ended.

Because dream interpretation can be fun, feel free to give me you thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home