Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Closet Opens

Usually when an actor finally comes out of the closet I'm kind of "ho hum" about the whole thing But Neil Patrick Harris has now come out and I'm all smiles. NPH is the main reason why I watch How I Met Your Mother, anyway. I also think it is more significant than when Grey's Anatomy actor T.R. Knight came out simply because, with regard to NPH, a lot of America saw NPH grow up as Doogie Houser, MD. It is also important for actors to come out simply because they work in the most powerful and influential industries when it comes to shaping how people think. When you count the number of televisions in a household, you can see why having more people that are on television shows to come out is very important.

Legislation granting rights to gays and lesbians is all good, but too often people feel put upon by those scary gays on the news demanding rights. But when a popular actor comes out, a familiar face, a face that is in your house every week, our cause gains more sympathy, I think. After all, if Doogie Houser is gay, maybe we aren't as scary as so many think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jimmi said...

NO WAY!! That is awesome! I always thought he was cute. He has played a few gay characters like in "The Next Best Thing" but I guess I just thought he was a laid back, cool with his sexuality, straight guy. Hmmm that one got by the Gaydar!

Jimmi

12:12 PM  
Blogger hbjock said...

Hmmm u know, I always thought that he might be gay. It's great to see that more actors feel comfortable with coming out. It really does help the image of our community.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

After his stint doing so much live theatre (including nudity i a gay role) I really was hoping that I wasn't forcing my gaydar on him.

The nice thing about him is that as much as my gaydar goes off, he still plays an arrogant womanizer incredibly well on TV. (I hope his announcement doesn't affect his role.)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home