Saturday, August 26, 2006

Who's Talking Now.

It's Saturday and I I'm having one of those days where I don't really feel like doing anything, even though I really need to go to the gym and get out and do some shopping for my epic RV trip through Utah in September. I woke up at around 9:30 this morning (REALLY late for me), rolled out of bed threw on a pair of jeans, shirt and a hat (bed head) and went up to Cala to buy some cereal and milk since I didn't have anything in the apartment for breakfast. Came home, mixed a protein shake, ate, watched some TV, ignored my cell phone (sorry Jamison) and then fired up the Mac and decided to listen to Dan's first podcast from his newly titled blog, Dan Nation.

Dan had as his guest Jimmi from The Jimmi Chronicles and a special call-in guest Darin from All Prep and no H. The show was going well until Darin came on board- that's when I started getting all confused. Let me explain why. You know how people that own dogs sometimes start to look like their dogs? Well, as there is a corollary with dogs and their owners, there is a corollary between gays and their voices. Just as owners and their dogs start to look alike after a while, gays and their voices start to sound alike after a while. After listening to Dan, Jimmi, and Darin for a while, I couldn't distinguish the three from each other. Everyone's vowels started to elongate just like the other's with the special gay lilt to the voice we gays tend to adopt when we are all together (don't deny it, it's true and you know it!). About the only time I was able to tell who was talking was when Darin talked about Phoenix or All Prep and No H. Am I the only one that noticed this? As a work around for this problem when a group of gays get together for a podcast, I suggest some simple solutions.

1. Anytime someone speaks up, he should identify himself with a special call sign. Something along the lines of "this is Dan. Over"

2. If the podcast has the technology, anytime someone speaks, a small sound effect shall be employed to make identification easier, like: When, say, Darin speaks, we will hear the soothing "ahhhh" as if preparation H is being applied to someone's ass.

or

3. As we have all seen during political rallies when a sign language interpreter is provided at the side of the stage, an interpreter shall be provided during a podcast to identify whom is speaking at the time. Using Will Lyman, the narrator for Frontline on PBS would be a great choice. It would go something like this, "Now speaking, Dan of Dan Nation." Now this may add some time to a podcast (but add a great deal of gravitas),I think the benefits far out way the detriment.

So, there you have my suggestions for a better podcast when a group of gays decide to get together to talk about Poppers, Anonymous Sex and Free Clinics.

Okay, I gotta go and call Kell.

5 Comments:

Blogger DanNation said...

Sweets - we will utilize Garage Band to alter each voice enough so that you can tell us apart! It was great having you over and hope you had a good time...

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jimmi said...

Thanks for listening, but I think I resent you saying I sound like Darin, Dan I am ok with, but Darin, “them is some fightin’ words”!!!! LOL

Thanks for listening and maybe we need to see if you sound similar to us and have you on sometime.

Jimmi

6:14 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I would imagine my vowels would elongate (tee, hee, I said elongate) just like everyone's else's. Maybe I'd just sing in some operatic tenor to make myself stand out from the rest? Hmmm.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Darin said...

It's interesting that you point this out. Last night, in fact, I was out with Jimmi and I started to mimick his tonality. It was at this point my queerness went thru the roof.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Kelicious said...

Sorry I missed your call, I got sidetracked. I'm going to go take a voice lesson after that commentary.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home