Thursday, June 29, 2006

Freedom Tower (blech)


Here's the description of the Freedom Tower that will be built next to the World Trade Center grounds:

"Glass prisms, landscaped plazas and a lighted spire meant to resemble the Statue of Liberty's torch are all included in the latest design of the skyscraper being built to replace the World Trade Center."

Where to start...
Well, number one the spire looks nothing like, much less resemble, the Statue of Liberty's torch. And calling if "Freedom Tower"? That's the name some jingoistic dictator from a third world country would call some crappy building where the bloody communist/fascist revolution took place. I'd rather they slap TRUMP on the thing than call it "Freedom Tower". I get the same feeling I got when Bush stated referring to the U.S. as "the homeland." Sounds too much like when the Nazi's referred to Germany and the Fatherland. Much too Orwell for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I totally agree with the "homeland" thing. I heard this great thing on my local NPR station tonight. A woman talking about the poem, "When they came for me," that is often ascribed to Niemöller. She was citing it in reference to the recent attack by the Prez and Veep on the press. Scary times, indeed.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tami DeTruth said...

Amen. . . and pass the revolution!

***and I kid you not, my word verification for this post is "teasin"... which I'm doing to my wig now, darling.

5:21 PM  
Blogger The Untraveled Travel Guy said...

I rather like Donald Trump's idea though to rebuild the towers only taller and safer than before. There is a hole in lower manhattan not only in the loss of those who perished there but two towers that remain in our consciousness.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home