Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Lexicon

Talking to Bryan in Chicago last night about his trip to Canada (north of the U.S.), we started talking about Toronto and Montreal and how he thought the boys in Montreal were cute in that "cute looking like they need to take a shower Eurotrash way". I mentioned that the incredibly awful show, Queer As Folk was filmed in Toronto. That set Bryan off a bit. Bryan thinks the term "queer" is in the same league as n**ger and sp*ck. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Queer As Folk was filmed in Toronto, you know.

Bryan: Queer As Folk? Why haven't I seen anything called N*gger As Folk or Sp*ck As Folk. I hate the word "queer".

Me: Oh, gawd. I am going to have to blog this. But I'm going to have to make sure everyone knows you're Mexican. Well, kinda Mexican. Mexican lite. You really have created your own nationality.

Bryan: What nationality is that?

Me: the "get over yourself" nationality

7 Comments:

Blogger Tami DeTruth said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Tami DeTruth said...

In my experience the "I hate the word Queer" response is typically from closeted homos.

Personally, I'm waiting for the "Queer as Folk" spin off: "Faggotty Faggots"

5:25 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Oh, Bryan is hardly closeted. He's very out.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Bryan Ceja said...

So, according to Tami, only closeted black people would hate the word ni**er?

7:39 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I love the word Queer ... it is much better than Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) ... what a mouthful (and of all the wrong stuff).

BTW ... I saw Rufus at Carnegie Hall, jealous? It was a great show - he is such a great performer.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

When I was first out, I hated the word "queer" as well. Now, I don't really care one way or another.

Ironically, the title comes from a saying that has nothing to do with homosexuality or gay people. It derives from an English expression "there's nought so queer as folk", meaning "there's nothing as strange as people".

3:17 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I am jealous that you saw Rufus - I've only seen him live twice, once at The Great American Music Hall and then at The Fillmore.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home