Friday, July 29, 2005

Drive Review: All American Boy by William J. Mann

How many clichés does this book hold? Let’s make a short list:

Son travels home and must deal with his ailing mother and is, therefore, forced to confront his past. Dududum!!
Super macho military, alcoholic father
Father is embarrassed by his sissy son
Meek mother
Mother wanted to be a singer until she meets Military Father; life now unbearable
Farmer uncle pushes around sissy nephew
Kindly Transsexual takes in young gay youth and teaches them to respect themselves for who they are
Young, cocky gay youth is not afraid to be in your face gay
Past brings fourth unresolved issues of child-hood sex with older man
Flamboyant man from the past now dieing of AIDS
As a child, The Wizard of Oz changes main character’s life; cries
Son hates overbearing, now dead, father
While this is not a cliche, there is something about vampires...Yeah. Vampires. I don't know
Lots of "How can you expect me care with the way you treated me." And. "Mother, he was a bastard..." "..but he is the only family I have left," said to her SON. To his face. Ugh.

From rolling my eyes in disbelief (and developing a bad case of eye-strain), I never finished this book…So, you know, maybe it gets better. You’ll have to let me know if the book gets better, I don’t plan on finishing the thing. On a positvie note, the guy on the cover is kinda cute.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chox said...

When you write these drive-by reviews, do you imagine yourself in some badass car like a Chrysler 300 Hemi with Sprewells spinning around like hella crayzee, or perhaps a Buick Century station wagon with wood paneling on the side? ;-)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Can we agree that the Chrysler 300 is the most ghetto production car to come out in a long time?

I'm way too white to have to have a car with a Hemi and Sprewells, I think a 1972 Honda Civic would be better suited because they are just annoying little creepy cars. I would drive by people an say, "blah, blah, blah...phhhht!"

11:53 AM  
Blogger JMG said...

but....this book...sounds like MY LIFE STORY...including the vampires.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home