Monday, May 08, 2006

I Do Not Hate Children

One of my co-workers (she's a manager, so calling her "one of my co-workers" is stretching it), anyway, one of my, ahem, co-workers came into the office today with her new 6 week old baby to show him/her to the office (I'm not sure of the gender, to be honest, and I didn't make much of an effort to find out). Honestly, you would have thought Christopher Reeve came back from the dead and started walking with all the commotion this kid hath rot.
I was in the middle of having a mini meeting with one of the managers about finding a cubicle for a new hire when she gets up and tells me, "let's deal with this tomorrow." With that, she practically runs across the office to see this little "miracle" of meat. Arrrghh! As this manager is galloping down the hall to gaze at the kid, I'm left with...well, nothing. So, I walked down to my cube to follow-up on some other tasks that needed my attention. Walking back to my cube, I had to navigate my way through the throngs of people that had, evidently, never seen a baby before in their lives, after getting back to my cube one of the girls in the office came over to me and said, "I didn't know you didn't like babies?" I looked up and said, "What?"
"I didn't know you didn't like babies?" she said
"No. Babies are fine, why?" I asked.
She went to explain how I didn't even stop to look at the baby and how she thought that was just strange. I said, "I just have to get some things done." She says, "oh, okay," and turns away. WTF? I'm sorry, am I obligated to make googly sounds at every baby that a co-worker brings into the office? (and there have been quite a few this year). I don't consider babies some sort of miracle, I just don't. I have about 10 cousins that have given birth and I have held practically all of these kids. My sister had a baby and I flew down that same weekend to see her and her new baby (there are even pictures of me holding my niece, my niece sleeping on my chest while I watch T.V., me feeding my niece - this was after the whole breast feeding stage was done.) I think my credentials as a "not a baby hater" are pretty rock solid. But to treat every baby as a miracle? Not going to happen. Women have been giving birth for thousands of years, and yet we still think it's a miracle. I don't get it. You know what is a miracle? A miracle is that I live in my own apartment is San Francisco, have a 401k plan, health insurance, and two saving accounts. Two savings accounts with what I make a year? That's the miracle.
But I do not hate children. I'm indifferent. Yes. Indifferent

/rant

Update: Maybe it is a miracle...

1 Comments:

Blogger Curtis said...

Personally, I don't care much for kids. It's not that I hate them or anything. It's just I'm not into making a fuss. Besides, children are full of germs anyway.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home