Tuesday, December 06, 2005

It's Getting Dark In Here

As the U.S. steps further into the dark, a more enlightened country is burning brighter.

I was listening to Neil Diamond's America (a live recording) the other day on the CD player and while Neil was singing the song, he briefly broke away from the written lyrics and said, "...white, black, gay, straight you're welcome all." I used to really love this song, I still do, but now I know it is a lie. Not everyone is welcome. America used to be a place where you came because there were more freedoms and liberties. No longer. Now, if you move here, there is a good chance you will lose rights and liberties and that breaks my heart. I want so bad to feel proud of being an American, but right now, I only feel shame and despair.

I'm tired of seeing close friends so much in love with their partners but not able to make the ultimate commitment, not of their love (they already have done that), but of responsibility for each other and the protections afforded.

Many say that they don't need a piece of paper to show how much they love each other, and that is true, but we live in a world of laws designed to protect us as well as give us our liberties. If only a certain group of people are protected by those laws, then there is a large group that are left without being fully protected, and therefore, are open to being harmed. It is a shame that so many are comfortable with causing so much harm to so many.

1 Comments:

Blogger Curtis said...

My partner is English. We have had so many difficulties with the US INS over the past 8 years it's maddening. I don't understand why I don't have the same rights as my fellow heterosexual Americans. Obviously, we are now contemplating a move to the UK. I'm disinclined to ever come back. Perhaps soon it will get better.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home