Friday, November 18, 2005

Look To The Sky

I heard that the first teaser for Superman Returns was going to play sometime during that train wreck of a show, Smallville, so I endured flipping back and forth from show to show in the hope I would catch the trailer for the movie coming out in 2006. I was fortunate enough to land on The WB at the time the trailer was to be broadcast. I, of course, became giddy with excitement when the "The Following Preview Is Approved For All Audiences," appeared on my TV screen, when John Williams' trumpety theme started, I could feel the emotions swell up as Jor-El's voice-over started. With the John Williams theme music and Jor-El's voice, along with the nostalgia of Superman: The Movie, I recalled what magic the original film held for me as a 9 year old (I am excluding the sequels- those sucked). I was in bliss.

After watching the trailer, I started to think about how I felt about the trailer, the anticipation, the emotions, the nostalgial for Superman. The thing that makes Superman so special to so many, is the feeling of hope and goodness that Superman represents (god knows, we can use some hope and goodness right now.) With all that is happening in the world, our own country from a dubious war, a President no one trusts, and, what I think, is a loss of pride of being an American, I think a movie like Superman Returns is just the escape we all need (the fact Brandon Routh is hot doesn't hurt, either).

I won't go into my theory that super heroes are essentially God identified.

You can see the trailer here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

After reading your post, I watched the trailer, then started browsing the IMDB pages for Superman, Superman II, etc. And then I discovered something: the actor who played General Zod, Terrance Stamp, is the same one who played Bernadette in The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Wow. It's going to take me a while to get my brain around that one.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home