Sunday, June 12, 2005

KRON 4: Taking the Pulse of Bay Area Bloggers...and finding...?

At about 11:30 am on Saturday (June 11), I called Chad Fox to see if he wanted to grab something to eat, I had just gotten back from the gym (after a brief break of sorts, I am officially a gym-rat, again!) Chad Fox answered his phone all out of breath and huffy puffy sounding.

Me: " What's going on?"

Chad Fox: "I'm on my way to the KRON blogger thing, I forgot to tell you about it. Hurry up and get here."

Me: "I don't think anyone would even know me, or my blog."

Chad Fox: "Doesn't matter, just come. It's at 1001 Van Ness."

Me: "Okay. I need to put on some clothes [I was currently all naked], I'll get there as soon as I can."

Chad Fox: "Good. See you there."

So I threw on some clothes hoping I would seem "blogger enough" for the grand meeting of Bar Area Bloggers (BABs), it then occured to me that I hadn't asked if there was going to be food. Whatever. I left and took MUNI down to Van Ness and then caught the bus that would take me right to the building.

As I got off the bus, which drops you off in front of the AMC 1000 Van Ness movie theater, I briefly entertained the idea of just going into to see a movie, I decided, instead, to cross the street to the KRON building so I could see what the heck this whole blogger thing was all about.

After entering the KRON building, a nice security guy ushered me to the elevator and told me to go to the 3rd floor (I guess I look like a blogger?) I arrived at the floor, signed in and picked up my "KRON4News Bay Area Bloggers Inaugural Meet-Up" t-shirt (medium - I may be a gym-rat, but I'm not huge.) Is it ironic the URL for KRON was no where to be found on the t-shirt specically made for a blogger get-together? Just asking. I immediately saw Chad Fox and gave him a hug and we started talking about why we were here. We both couldn't really figure what this little "inaugural meet-up" was all about. Fortunetly there was food provided, but the only problem was the food table consisted of cookies, chips and sandwiches with lots of mayonaise and mustard (I hate mayanaise and mustard, this hatred spills over into all condiments, BTW.) I commented to Chad Fox that I thought the food was a little "carby" for my taste. Chad Fox said something disparagingly about "you and your carbs."

After milling about for a bit, the Director of "online" something or other, herded us into a studio where we were addressed by the News Director of KRON. The New Director basically said he knew nothing abut the "blogoshere" and that he really didn't "know what it means to televsion," but that this is a way to start...something. Um, yeah. Okay.

So, essentially, this is what the "meet-up" was all about (excerpts edited for content and space.)

KRON: "Welcome. I don't know what this all means or why you are here."

Me using inner voice: "Um, okay."

KRON: " Having said that we here at KRON are clueless as to why we invited you, why don't we all go into Studio A and take a group picture."

Me using inner voice: "Um, okay."

Then there were photos taken from various cameras, Chad Fox's camera being the the camera with the most pixels (size queen.)

Then we were all thanked and told to leave the Studio, this was made clear when the lights started to dim, which, I would imagine, must be the way the News Director tells Wendy Tokuda and Pam Moore that the broadcast is over, they can stop pretending to like each other and leave the studio.

Afer leaving the studio, I felt a sense of empowerment that I was, at least, I think, I was, on the cutting edge of a new media revolution.

Viva La...blogosphere...

Um, okay

3 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

It felt like an AA meeting.

It was weird.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Brian Shields said...

Well I need to put in an order for new business cards.. and now I know what to have put on them.. "Director of Online Something or Other."

Also note to self: next meet-up at least a few sandwiches sans condiments.

Seriously thanks a lot for showing up. We had a great time listening to everyone there. I hope you'll stick with us as we make this transition... and I look forward to meeting you soon.

Brian Shields
Online News Manager (Director of online something or other)
KRON-TV
shields@kron.com

5:27 PM  
Blogger Brechi said...

lol...you are so fast track

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home