Thursday, February 03, 2005

MUNI

I take the subway home (MUNI for those non-San Franciscans), and today was no exception. I board at Montgomery Street Station to go home (Castro Station). Like I do every day, I tried to maneuver myself so I can get a seat for the trip home. Today I got a seat because the train wasn't too full, thankfully. So I board the train and grab my favorite place to sit, pull out the latest edition of Instinct Magazine (did I mention I'm gay?), and start to read the latest important fluff every self-respecting gay man should know (cool, they mention Nickel Spa! That's a couple of blocks from where I live). So I'm sitting there, reading and the train pulls into Powell Street Station. Again, not too many people board. But one person that did board was this attractive bohemian-looking girl holding a jar filled with dollars and some change. I thought, "Great, I'm going to hit up for money. Grand." When the train started to pull away from the station, the women situated herself in the back of the train with her hands raised to her chest, cluthcing the small jar of money. She looked liked she was going to do something and I thought this is going to turn into a Chad-like story. I fully expected here to start yelling and cussing at the passengers in some gibberish only the homeless seem to understand. But to my delight, she started to sing this beautiful Italian love song (doesn't everything in Italian sound like a love song, though?) While she was singing, she was not holding onto anything, not an easy thing to do on a moving MUNI train! She kept singing this wonderful song, without falling, stumbling, or missing one note as the trained rocked back and forth on its way to Civic Center Station. I must say, I was impressed. Unfortunately, she didn't heed the warning to always hold on for "Sudden stops are sometimes necessary". I guess a "sudden stop" was necessary, because she quite rapidly found herself at the front of the train. After her short trip to the front of the train, she gatherred herself together, stood up, and started singing as if she hadn't missed a beat. As I exited the train at Castro Street, I gladly placed a dollar into her jar.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chox said...

I love MUNI stories like that. Ones that don't involve tuberculosis, BO, vomit, snot, or pushy Chinese grandmothers.

Well, vomit can be funny, but only on BART.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home