Friday, May 09, 2008

The Castro Theatre


It seems our little Castro Theatre will be going all 'big time' on May 22 with the opening of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (I always wondered why The Castro never brought in the big Hollywood movies). Totally jazzed about this! Kelly will be in from Austin for the Mem. weekend and we plan on seeing Indy.
If you have never been to The Castro Theatre, it's a place that harkins back to the day of yore of the grand movie houses with cool murals and a really awsome chandelier hanging from the center of the theatre. Take a look at the pictures and read some of the history here, if you would like. Anyway, watching Indy at The Castro should be cool.


While I am totally jazzed about Indy at the Castro, I really am excited that The Black Hole will be playing. I was nine years old when The Black Hole came out and thought it was the coolest thing (not as cool as Star Wars, but almost).
Here's the discription from The Castro's website:
Long lost delusional genius Maximilian Schell has sights set on sailing his spaceship into a black hole, Robert Forster and his crew favor the opposite direction. Will it be Heaven or Hell - or both? One of the more bizarre sci-fi films of its time, the spectacular visual effects and impressionistic sets still impress as JB sucks you into his grand symphonic vortex. With Anthony Perkins, Yvette Mimieux and Ernest Borgnine, directed by Gary Nelson

"Robert Forster and his crew favor the opposite direction" - heh. Yeah, I'm thinking I would want to go away from a Black Hole, too. Then, again, I'm not filled with awsomeness like Maximilian Schell. Who is? I love that discription. That's one of the things about the management of The Castro, they have a great sense of humor. Anyway, how can you go wrong with Maximilian Schell and Ernest Borgnine. Ernest Borgnine!
The best part about The Castro? It is right around the corner from me.

P.S. Saw Planet of the Apes on Wednesday. I have to say, cool movie, but Charlton Heston? Bad, hammy actor - "Gawd Dammmmn Youuuuu Tooo Helll!"

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I remember seeing it when I was about 9 as well, and again while in college, but not since then. Maybe I'll drive up to the Castro and check it out.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home