Monday, January 15, 2007

Drive By Review: VH-1's Surreal Life

This may come as a shock to some of you, but I do not have cable. That's right, I have all of 7 or 8 channels to watch - as long as I can watch Ugly Betty and Brothers and Sisters, I'm happy.

About the only time I have the "opportunity" to watch cable is when I am visiting my parents, at a friends or doing laundry. When I am at my parent's (500 channels and counting), I find myself flipping through all these channels for hours unable to find anything to watch. How is that possible? The have 500 fricken channels? It is this experience that has lead me to not have cable. Now, granted, there are a few shows that I would like to watch like Battlestar Galactica, but, like I said, I have friends with cable. Failing the chance to watch BSG at a friend's house, I will wait for the DVD to come out - I'm very patient. The other time I watch cable is when I am doing my laundry at Sit and Spin on 18th in the the Castro. With a big screen TV, I can catch up on the latest dreck produced by VH-1 (the only channel that plays, it seems). For whatever reasson, the only show on when I am doing my laundry is The Surreal Life (an abortion of bad taste inhabited by the vommit of Hollywood).

Watching these sad people compete to stay on the celebrity "A-List" and not be sent to the "B-List" is sad and depressing. Wathing people sell there dignity and self worth for a gratuitous shot at regaining some low level stardom is deprssing. Watching Chyna(?) bemoaning how celebrety should mean something to people and show that someone is special is as difficult as it sounds. After watching this show, I can understand what pisses off all those religous right nuts!

Anyway, this was supposed to be a "Drive By Review", not some long-windded rant. So, here is my review of VH-1's Surreal Life:

I needed to take a shower after watching just one episode.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jimmi said...

Well it just blows my mind too but yes, we have tons of channels and we can literally flip, flip, flip and nothing interesting is on. I find myself watching the Food Network, Court TV, and sometimes LOGO, but honestly there is little on most channels. Its sickening how much we will pay to flip flip flip....
Now has anyone caught "I Love New York" on VH1? LOL Its the spin off of "Flavor of Love" Yeah like I said, there is little to watch on TV! LOL

12:19 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Ahh, yes. Flavor of Love. That's the other show I am forced to endure while folding my clothes. I find it amazing what some people will do or act like to be on TV. Of course the real horror is that maybe these people are not acting, but are really like that. *shudder*

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home