Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Job? Career? Work?

Today at work I took a training class for one of the online tools used for tracking project times, cost, etc at the company I work for. *I. HATED. IT!

*Update: I shouldn't say I hated the class, I hated how the online tool creates a kind of micromanaging feel to any project. The class itself was fine.

After the class was over, I went down to my office to catch up with some things I needed to get done before I left for home. Well, I was talking to one of the Project Managers in my office about the class I just took and he said, "I can't understand why you would want to be a Project Manager." Now, this was not exactly what I like hearing from someone in the type of work that I want to do (atleast, I thought I wanted to). This is not the first time I heard someone say this to me. Another PM in my office said the same thing, basically. Now these two negative reactions to learning that I was going try to get in Project Managment came from two different poeple with different personalities. Not a good sign.


Why am I telling you this?

Because now I feel like I am looking at the wrong path for a "career". I'm thrity-six years old and I have no idea what to do.

The last time I liked what I was doing was, oh, 13 years ago when I worked as stag crew/produciton manager at a performing arts center. I miss that.

/rant

2 Comments:

Blogger Nihilistic said...

Welcome to the club!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Your membership card can be found in the welcome packet at your assigned seat along with your personalized set of golden handcuffs.

(If it weren't for the money that allows me Tivo, DSL, occasional vacations, an apartment in SF, and other luxuries I think I need, I'd be working as a stock boy for Barnes and Noble.)

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home