Monday, December 17, 2007

Drive By Review: I Am Legend

update for a list of the logical inconsistencies, go here

Nice to see a big budget Hollywood film have some brains and some heart. No need to see it in the theater, though. Video will do. No surprises.

And now the gripe:

I liked how Will Smith's character kept telling the Alice Braga's character that god didn't create the virus, "we did". But at the climatic scene where Smith sacrifices himself he sees a butterfly tattoo on Braga's neck and remembers what his son said before he left on the helicopter about remembering to look for the butterfly, or something (can't quite remember). Well, Smith sees the butterfly tattoo and suddenly "hears" god, or something, and sacrifices himself for the, implied, higher purpose. Sigh. I wish we could see a movie where someone does the right thing because it is the right thing and not because of some god-guided higher purpose.

My rant is that anything someone does that is sacrificial in nature, the usual reason given is that "god wanted me to." Do we have such a low opinion of ourselves and our capacity for good that we can't comprehend the notion that humans may just know what is right without crediting some magical puppet master?

/rant

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll try to catch this up front. While I too believe that we're all very capable of making decisions on our own, I also believe in a puppet master. (Then again, I believe that this master is ourselves so not sure how that will play out.)

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home